Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Easy Ways to Save Money

As part of my life makeover, I am trying to get my finances in the best shape possible. Previously, I NEVER used coupons! One day I was talking with a friend of mine who has an obscene amount of money saved for a 28 year old woman and I almost fell off my chair! She uses coupons for EVERYTHING! Rebates, coupons, free samples - you name it - she does whatever she can to save money. And she is not afraid to speak up and ask for discount if one is not being offered! Just the act of asking goes a lot further than one might expect. I've seen her go into a bar that was charging a $10 cover and get them down to $5 for her only. She is always looking to save a buck! And her savings account definitely reflects her efforts.

Anyways - after talking with my friend - I decided I would try her methods. One way my friend saves money is by going on www.mommysavesbig.com. This site alerts you to coupons, online discounts, rebate offers, and free samples. I have received tons of shampoo/conditioner free samples from reviewing this site. I have also gotten moisturizer samples and dish washer detergent samples, etc. Just getting a few free samples a month can help you save and it can be fun to try new products.

I use coupons as much as I can now. I never buy toothpaste, deodorant, razors, shaving gel, shampoo/conditioner, soap, toilet paper, paper towels, sponges, yogurt, microwave meals etc. - without a coupon! When I think about how much I used to pay for Venus razor blades - I cannot believe how I was being ripped off! There are coupons for these items in almost every Sunday paper and if you cannot find them in the paper you can find some type of coupon online.

While it might seem like a pain to take the time to cut coupons - it is like free money that you are giving up by not doing so. In my opinion not using coupons is stupidity - and I was blind to this for a long time!

I recommend that everyone take a look at what they are spending on and ask yourself - is there a way I can save on this item? Many times you can save double if an item is on sale and you also use a coupon. It is really easy and so many of us do not take advantage of the things that are right at our finger tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment