Monday, June 14, 2010

The Importance of Setting Goals and Following Through

We grow up going to school, exceling from grade to grade: Elementary School, Middle School, High School, College, Graduate School etc. But at some point, all of a sudden you are set out into the "real world", without guidance, without structure, without direction. You are like a fish out of water.

I recently realized that this transition was a big part of the reason why I felt so unhappy and dissatisfied in my adult life. I was no longer working toward anything, there was no next grade or school to graduate to. I was a working woman, but I did not know where I was going or what I wanted. This lack of direction and accomplishment made me miserable. So I decided to stop floating along in my life and take action and control over my happiness!

Setting Goals

I decided to write down a list of goals. I once read that you are far more likely to accomplish your goals if you write them down.

Other tips include:
  • Assigning timeframes for your goals;
  • Setting short-term, mid-term, and long term goals; and
  • Setting checks for what you have accomplished and still want to accomplish.

My list has a variety of things on it. Some of my goals are quite simple such as make guacamole, while others are more time consuming and complex such as study for the GMAT's.

The point is - I always think about doing things - but for some reason I have trouble following through. Since I have been writing things down in a list and checking off my accomplishments as I go - I feel much more accomplished in my life!

As human's I think we get bored if we are not working toward anything. When we stop bettering ourselves and stop learning new things, we lose confidence, we lose momentum, and we lose power over our own happiness. Setting goals will help to keep our lives going the way we want them to. It has definitely helped me find passion in my life again and it's keeping me busy in positive ways! So write down your goals and see what can happen - I believe it can change your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment