Sunday, June 13, 2010

Why to Start a Blog

When I first graduated from college with a Finance degree I did not really know what I wanted to do. I applied to a number of different jobs and I eventually ended up working as a Budget Analyst for a State Government Agency. At the time, I just wanted a job - any job. I was simply excited to be getting a pay check after my broke college days. For a while I was content with working a 40 hour work week at a job that I was not all that passionate about. I thought it was what I had to do as an adult to make a living.

After about 2 years at my first job though, it started getting difficult to get out of bed in the morning. So, I found a new job at the same organization I was currently at doing a different function. This next job was a lot more work than my first job, but I welcomed the challenged and the change. Again though, after about two years, I started feeling burnt out. I was working really hard, but I was not really making any more money. Also, I was still not doing something that I enjoyed.

I was not really looking for a new job when a co-worker sent me a posting for a Senior Budget Analyst position - a promotion at another government agency. I immediately sent in my resume. I ended up getting the job and a $12,000 raise. I needed the extra money and so I accepted the position.

I have been at my new job for only 6 months and I know this is another bad fit for me. I like this job the least of any of the 3 jobs I have worked at in the past 6 years of my career. I finally realize I cannot continue on the path I am on. That is why I started a Blog.

It's ironic to me that I have a Finance degree and that I became a Budget Analyst because I hate math!

I love to write. I love people and socializing. I love to be active and instead I sit in a cubicle all day crunching numbers! These are decisions that are hard to really understand when you are choosing a major for college at 18 years old. Now that I am 28 I look back and realize I did not choose the right career path for myself. I leave work feeling exhausted everyday and with my back in pain from sitting at a desk for 8 hours straight.

I know there are millions of other people out there that probably feel the same way. So stick with me on the road to happiness. Start a blog too! There are so many ways to earn money, make contacts, and find self satisfaction through a blogging - that a 9-5 job could never provide. I have made a promise to myself that I would turn things around and create the life that I always wanted and that I always saw for myself. I hope my experiences and road to change will help you find self satisfaction and the will to change your life too.

No comments:

Post a Comment